I'm a writer and author. I'm currently working on a new book, for Bloomsbury Books. It's all about exploring the magical in nature and the landscape - a subject that is close to my heart.
I've also contributed to the Winter, a best-selling anthology published by Elliott and Thompson for the Wildlife Trusts in 2016 and edited by nature writer, Times columnist and novelist Melissa Harrison.
Over the years, I've written widely for national newspapers, magazines and online media. You can see who I've written for below, and examples of my portfolio here. I've focused on eco-travel and nature-related experiences, wellbeing, ethical living, personal development, spirituality and ventures for social good. I started out in book publishing and worked for Penguin Books for four years in London as a copywriter and later at Macmillan Publishers in Hong Kong as an editor.
I've run workshops around nature and writing, and occasionally speak about my work, most recently at the Nature Connections Festival, where I also co-judged a nature photography competition with animal rights campaigner and wildlife presenter Chris Packham. I gave a short talk at a conference on diversity in nature, held in Bristol in June 2016, alongside Kerry McCarthy, now ex-Environment Secretary, broadcaster and naturalist Stephen Moss and others. At a Waterstones event in London, I joined author Melissa Harrison in conversation with book critic Anita Sethi.
For more about the consultancy services i offer, and how I can help you, see here
I've roamed quite widely via work - scroll down and you'll see more about that – though these days, with a few exceptions, I tend to explore closer to home.
Who I have written features for:
My byline has appeared in a range of publications including these:
The Guardian, Metro, The Sunday and Daily Telegraph, The Independent, Sunday Times Style, The Times, Independent on Sunday, Positive News, The FT's How to Spend It (and FT Magazine), Scotland on Sunday, The National, The Sunday and Daily Express, The Mail on Sunday.
Country Living, Psychologies, Resurgence& Ecologist, Earthlines, Journeys, Conde Nast Traveller, EasyJet Traveller, National Geographic Traveller , Coast, TIME, Geographical, Wanderlust, BBC Wildlife, Time Out, Marie Claire, Harpers & Queen, BA High Life, Gulf Life, Square Meal, The Spectator, Good Housekeeping, Family Traveller, Cook Vegetarian, Natural Health, Kindred Spirit, Adventure Travel, Countryman
adventure.com; greentraveller.co.uk; pebblemag.com; bbc.com; theguardian.com (Guardian Sustainable Business), positivenews.org.uk, queenofretreats.com, theladyadventurer.co.uk, CNNTravel.com
Work I've loved doing
My wanderings as a travel scribe have led me through many, many adventures (and taken me to over 60 countries). Here are just a few of the highlights:
--Exploring Namibia's Skeleton Coast and remote Kunene region
- Journeying into Pakistan's Northern Areas and North West Frontier Province (to take tea with the women of the pagan Kalash tribe)
- A 'zen' canoe trip through Botswana's remote Selinda Spillway
- Trekking through India's mysterious Living Root Bridges
-An expedition to Guatemala's lost city of El Mirador (myself & a team of jungle patrollers).
- A solo nature quest in the Sinai desert (minus tent)
- exploring tribal Chhattisgarh
- A solo wilderness quest and fast in the Pyrenees
- Sailing with an all-female crew in the Isle of Wight's epic Round the Island Race
- Hiking in rural Iran
- A solo, week-long hike through Slovenia's Karst
- A 430km cycling trip through Dorset, Normandy and Brittany
- a solo cycling trip through Quebec's Laurentions
- Eagle-flying in Kyrgyzstan
--Aerobatic formation flying over UK skies
- Playing castaway on Samson Island, on the Isles of Scilly
On the inner journeys front, I've:
- Experienced shamanic healing
-Explored co-creation with nature
- Discovered the joys of mindfulness in the wild
- Explored my inner genius with an ex-pop singer
-Learned about sacred activism with one of Canada's top filmmakers
- Made stone sculptures by the sea
- Tried slacklining
- Imbibed South American plant spirit medicines (Ayahuasca and San Pedro)
- Gone underground to experience a healing cave (in Austria)
- Tried parahawking, been rebirthed, tackled love addiction, trod shoeless in Britain's first barefoot park and been a guinea pig for every complementary therapy going...
I was born in Wimbledon, in London and grew up in Montreal, Canada, to South-African born parents of Indian descent. (Yes, a global mouthful!). My (late) father was a child psychologist. My mum is.... the best mum ever, garden mad and an amazing cook. Among her family are a few interesting healers.
I received my B.A in Geography from Canada's oldest university, McGill, in Montreal and my M.A. in English Literature at Avignon University in France. I also have a diploma in French Languages and Literature from Aix Marseille University and I studied Journalism at the London College of Communications.
What excites me:
I'm fond of countryside and coastal walks, picnics, cycling, reflective time, and exploring hidden green corners in London. I'm a bookworm and a lover of independent bookshops. I'm fascinated by shamanism and indigenous healing traditions, energy medicine, and animal human communication. I enjoy being around authentic, kind, fun, pioneering people. I love an open mind!
Where I live now:
Following stints in Hong Kong, Provence and Tbilisi, I currently make my home in green, leafy South West London.
I'm a member of the Woodland Trust, the Wildlife Trust, the Resurgence Trust, and I've recently rejoined the British Guild of Travel Writers. I'm a lapsed member of the Royal Geographical Society and the NUJ.